Looks like most of the Automattic team is busy playing around with WordPress and of course, thats good for the future of WordPress. However, as WordPress has started to become popular as CMS, its limitations as compared to other enterprise level CMSes are coming up. Although, most of limitations are easily countered with the huge list of Plugins it has!
Forums are important part of any website and bbPress fills the gap that has been left in WordPress CMS. bbPress is one of the decent projects from Automattic team, however its future looked pretty gloomy as there was hardly any development on it. Lesser development on bbPress doesn’t make it the favorite choice for all the clients. As a design agency, we prefer to use WordPress and would love to stick to solutions provided by Automattic team. Good news is that from last few months, talks have been going on to ensure that bbPress project lives and that talks have been going on where Matt himself thought of converting it in a Core Plugin.
Reasons for making bbPress as Core Plugin
- Why make more plugins for bbPress – Making bbPress as a plugin for WordPress will ensure that in the forums (plugin one), webmasters will be able to make use of the existing plugins of WordPress. For e.g. if I want to show blog’s popular posts in the forums, then I won’t have to worry as there are plugins that show popular posts on WordPress and they can be easily used in the forum too. However, it’ll be a pain to achieve the same result when it will be stand-alone bbPress.
- Easier Theme interoperability – Of course, when we’ll have one theme developed for WordPress, it’ll work with bbPress (plugin one) too. In short, this all will result in lesser development time.
- Use of powerful features of WordPress – There are many features of WordPress that are not part of bbPress and all of that will become simpler if bbPress can be converted as plugin. It’ll be easier to upgrade bbPress with WordPress automatic plugin upgrade feature. Media library is also a powerful feature of WordPress, that can be utilized in bbPress (plugin one).
- Integration will be easier – bbPress as plugin will integrate pretty easily with WordPress and there will be no extra configurations required. Same users will be able to post in the forums and will be able to post on blog as well. This will surely help in creating better communities.
- Better role management – Role management system will also improve tremendously. All the user management features required for the plugin will eventually make WordPress more powerful as CMS too. This will certainly help in establishing WordPress as the top choice for small to medium businesses.
- Solid foundation for TalkPress – TalkPress, a hosted service for online forums (powered by bbPress). If bbPress as core plugin becomes success then embracing TalkPress for the world will be far more easier. It surely will act as stepping stone for TalkPress’ success.
What are you thoughts about bbPress and what it should really come out as. Will you like to see bbPress as stand-alone software or would you like to see it as a core-plugin for WordPress? Please share your views with us.