At WordCamp India 2009, I met with lots of people and many of them did something unique that was setting them apart from the crowd. In the last post about WordCamp India, you would have noticed the Tattoo guy – Ankur Banerjee (who conducted a very cool quiz too). I also met with team technospot i.e. Ashish Mohta and Manav Mishra, they were wearing Technospot.net branded t-shirts and same was the case of Ankit of Instablogs (who inspired me to order a hoodie with Blog Design Studio logo on it).
All these examples on the top were of branding, where Ankur managed to brand himself as “the tatoo guy” and was easily able to draw Matt’s attention and then the team “technospot” & “instablogs” were good enough to draw people’s attention towards their work.
Lets try to build this post as one of the “resource” for how to build your own brand, be it Personal brand or your company’s brand -
1. Get t-shirts printed with your venture’s logo or name and wear it often (if you can’t wear your own brand’s t-shirt then who else will?)
2. Get temporary tattoo’s built for your brand (everyone loved WordPress tattoo’s at WordCamp India)
3. If the founder of related event is around – wear his brand’s tattoo. (kudos to ankur banerjee).
4. Do some charitable work, that helps in improving your personal brand and if you offer certain services then help NGOs with those services.
5. Try to print unique business cards, they always leave impact.
6. Send free t-shirts of your brand to your blogger friends or probably the ones that are really established.
7. Take a session at any of the conferences/un-conferences, write articles and send them to established blogs or media.
8. Be a great communicator and networker. Pass your business cards to people you meet.
9. Don’t forget to take testimonial from peers in your network, that improves the credibility. Imagine that Michael Arrington says that your blog is one of the few Web 2.0 blogs that he reads. How will that impact your readers mind?
Well, here are some very cool links that should definitely help you in finding more about personal branding and branding your product or company -
1. 10 Ways personal branding can save your from getting fired.
2. 8 tips for creating your personal brand (slightly tech oriented – however you can always use it according to your needs.)
3. Personal brand organization tips. (one of my fav. posts).
4. 9 Branding tips for small businesses.
5. 25 branding tips.
If you come across any wonderful article on personal branding or branding in general then either email it to me or leave the link the comments section.