It was a hot afternoon (not really! just trying to give it a dramatic angle) and the jaljeera story starts from this tweet of mine. Sachin & I were having fun on Twitter and was later joined by Praval (he rather hijacked the conversation – Good work buddy!) and Ketan (also know as Keeda - he is responsible for the motivation behind making Jaljeera as trending topic & for the cartoon).
What started as fun little activity was taken sportingly by Indian Twitterati and with the help of my amazing friends on twitter, we were able to make JalJeera a trending topic on Twitter. Before I continue with the rest of the story, lets see what WikiPedia has to say about JalJeera -
Jal Jeera is an Indian beverage. In Hindi, “Jal” means water and “Jeera” means cumin. Jal Jeera is similar to lemonade and is a popular summer drink in India. It is generally served as an appetizer as it is intended to startle the taste buds.
I know that it sounds stupid, however after Ketan’s idea of making it trending topic, I thought that lets find out that after how many tweets, on a particular topic – we’d be able to make it trend. And I have to say that I came to know about few things that I would share with you in this blog post.
Some facts about making “Jaljeera” a trend
1. It took us nearly 500 tweets to make Jaljeera as a trending topic! WTHashtag was the first to tell us about this historic funny event. The first tweet about Jaljeera by me was found here (on page 80th as of now).
2. Our idea of making Jaljeera popular, didn’t really work properly. We all wanted that Jaljeera would become popular however, there weren’t many tweets from people, who wanted to know about this wonderful drink. I don’t think people were either interested in this drink or they got confused with all “hindi” tweets, or may be trending topics on twitter don’t really create the buzz that people expect!
3. All brands should be on twitter – There were many tweets which will easily light up the eyes of every marketer. There were many tweets where users replaced a particular product with Jaljeera and were tweeting their tag lines. For e.g. the tweet below is one of the tag lines of Cadbury’s Bournvita in India.
4. If you are part of it, you’ll definitely attract new followers. I found lots of new friends on twitter and it wouldn’t have been possible to make “jaljeera” a trend on twitter without them. I won’t say that I found lots and lots of followers, however I would say that now I know many of them and interact more than before and thus it will surely help me in future.
5. There is another thing that I noticed, however I would discuss it in the next post :) Don’t forget to subscribe to our rss feed or newsletter :)
In the end, I would like to thank everyone who helped us in making “jaljeera” a trending topic. It was indeed a fun friday!