If you’ve been in the blogging industry for long or have maintained a blog, then How to blog question will only make you laugh. If you do come across this question often, then just remember the days when you were trying to learn that How to Blog ? I meet lots of people and even those who’ve been in tech industry for long often find themselves in difficult situation when I talk about blogging and the next question they ask me is that What is a blog or how to start blogging ?
Many ask me that how can they improve their business through blog, just in case they are little familiar with blogging and it’s positives. In order to answer all those questions, which any new blogger will think of, I decided to create this simple guide which will help people understand the basics of blogging and the question How to blog, will not haunt them!
In this guide – I have covered the following topics -
1. What is a blog ?
2. What types of blog are present?
3. Should I start a blog ?
4. Is it too technical, will I be able to manage it on my own ?
5. How can blogging help my business ?
So, get ready for the adventure as this guide may turn the whole world around you, as you’ll get more familiar with the world of blogging and when you’ll find out that How to Blog, in this beginner’s guide for blogging/business blogs!
What is a blog ?
You may have heard about blogs/blogging from somewhere or may be you may have heard some success story and that’s what has increased your interest in blogs. However, keeping all success stories apart, I would like to caution you before hand that blogging has huge potential although, requires good amount of efforts and without that, you won’t be able to replicate that success story which you recently heard about.
Coming back to the question that what is a blog -
As defined in WikiPedia – “A blog (a contraction of the term “Web log”) is a Web site, usually maintained by an individual, with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. ‘Blog’ can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.”
And if someone asks me this question then here’s what I say – “A blog is a platform which gives you the ability to express your ideas, views, feelings with others in public. A platform which helps you in connecting with like minded people and lets you listen to their opinion on your commentary. You can simply call it Not-so-personal daily diary.”
What types of blog are present?
As I mentioned in my definition that it’s a free platform where you can express whatever you want. So the answer to this question is that you can create the type of blog you want. It’s really up to you that what type of blog you want. It can be -
1. A personal blog – Where you share your personal stuff like your life, information about your friends/family. How are you feeling at a given point of time. A place where you can share happiness, rant about something or do just about anything you want.
2. A niche blog – A blog which is specific to a certain topic and revolves around that topic only. For e.g. if you are interested in sports and if you talk about only sports in that blog then it will be called a niche blog. In this you can even break it down further; lets say you are interested in “snooker” and you talk about tips/tricks, new related to “snooker” then it be another example of niche blog, just that the focus is more narrower.
3. Business blog – A business blog is sort of a niche blog with a focus in mind that it should help you in improving the business, brand building, sales, a way to tell the world about your business values, ideas etc. A business blog can be used in the way you want, it just should have the right focus.
Should I start a blog ?
The answer to this simple question is YES! No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you should have a blog for sure. There are various reasons of starting a blog and it completely depends on what exactly you want to achieve out of blogging. Here are some of the generic reasons of starting a blog (I am keeping the personal blogging out of this guide) -
1. Knowledge – A niche blog will help you in increasing the knowledge. When you blog on a particular topic, then in order to post regularly on it, you do research and study and that helps you in improving the knowledge about the subject. After reading this, I’m sure that serious students will simply love this method of improving the knowledge!
2. Connections – I’m sure that there will be no one on this earth who will say that connections are bad or who will say that having contacts is not that good. Blogging helps you in connecting with like-minded people and a connection who thinks like you is even better.
3. Money – Blogging can be a great source of making money. There are people (I’m one of those) who make their living out of blogging and there are many who make even more than $ 30,000/month out of blogging. So, the money involved in blogging is substantial.
Is it too technical, will I be able to manage it on my own?
The answer to this will vary depending on your needs. If you are the only one who will blog for your business or if you want to setup the blog without putting any investment then I will suggest you to start with Blogger.com or WordPress.com. Apart from this, I’ve written several other guides which will help you in getting started with a blog which can be hosted on your servers. It can be little be technical, however it’s something which can be easily learnt as well. These guides will surely help you in future -
I’ve written various blogging tips, which should also help you in getting started, here are some of the best tools which will help you in starting your blog. If you want to market your blog, then these small articles will surely give you some ideas.
How can blogging help my business?
If you run a blog and publish relevant content related to your business then it can help you in improving the business in lot of ways. Here are some of the ways through which a blog will help you in your business -
1. Branding – Blogging helps you in setting yourself/your company as a brand. Once you start publishing content regularly on your blog and as the pages gets indexed in search engines, people looking for content related to your industry will come across your blog more than your competitors. So, they’ll be able to relate more to you than your competitors.
2. Authority – Blogging helps in building authority as you type the content and as it is read by the targeted audience, it will set you as authority provided you are giving some value to the readers in your content.
3. Feedback – It can be a great way of taking the feedback from the people. Comments, polls, contests are some of the ways to find out that what exactly people expect from you or your business.
4. Customers – As people find out that you are one of the person who can be trusted, they’ll consider you more than anyone whom they can’t communicate at all. For e.g. my blog is one of the example of business blogging. It helps me in getting customers from across the world.
I hope that you will enjoy this article and that it will help you in understanding that How to blog ? In case you find any issues feel free to leave your questions in comments as this will surely help in building this article as even better resource.