BlogSessive has organized a wonderful group writing project where readers write a blog post on a given topic and then share the links with others. This is one of the wonderful ways of building the traffic and discovering new blogs. The topic which was given by Alex is How to engage your blog readers ?
How to engage readers and building community around your blog ?
1. Regular Posting – In order to ensure that your blog readers get engaged with the blog and come regularly and leave comments or give link backs to you. You will need to ensure that you write regularly. Keep them hooked to your blog by posting great resources, by posting quality articles.
2. Quality articles will always help – If you can manage to churn out great content every now and then, expect that you’ll have a thriving community around your blog. Good content is like magnet which will attract readers for sure, or if you are a foodie then call it an italian pizza which will attract foodies(readers) like anything.
3. Contests/Give aways – All of us love prizes and give aways, so if you can arrange contests and give aways at regular intervals then it will surely help you in getting new readers and if you arrange Group writing contests then it will surely engage them more. For e.g. many bloggers took part in Alex’s group writing contest and I’m also taking part in it. Isn’t this an excellent example of reader engagement ?
4. Good Ol’ Forums – Forums are one of the most wonderful ways of engaging the readers. Have a forum which revolves around the same niche and try to ensure that you can deliver the same kind of value, which you try to deliver at your blog. Forums have always been great as they generate conversations and conversations always help in building the community.
Style of Writing helps in engaging the readers -
1. Ask questions – Whenever you are writing a blog post, don’t forget to post an open ended question. Open ended question will always give a chance for your readers to put across their ideas and a reply from you will convince them that you are interested in knowing their opinion and that will help them take part in future conversations.
2. Incomplete posts – Don’t do it literally! Keep some information available and then deliberately leave some of the points this will give some chance for readers to say something or put their point across. If you’ll say everything then readers won’t get any chance and thus the opportunity of building an interesting conversation dies.
Well, here are some of the points which I think help in engaging the readers, there are many other ways of engaging the readers and the other participants have crafted some wonderful posts on the same topic -
What do you think, what are the other ways of engaging the readers ? Do you know any other way of engaging the readers apart from the ones mentioned above ?
Note – Blog Design Studio is one of the sponsor of the above contest and this post is not a contest entry. It’s just that I felt like taking part in the contest as it always good to take part in group writing contests.