I’ve stressed earlier that how important it is to install a desktop blogging client. I realized that not everyone uses it as they find it difficult to configure these blog clients. In this post, I’ll tell you that how one can install & configure Windows Live Writer, by far the best blogging client available on the internet!
Install & Configure Windows Live Writer -
1. Download the web installer of Windows Live Writer from here.
2. Double click on the setup and select Windows Live Writer from the available products. The web installer contains other Windows Live services and products too, so you may choose the ones that you want to install. If you just need Windows Live Writer, uncheck others and go to next.
3. Installer will download the packages and will install it and then you may click on finish.
4. Once it is installed, time comes to configure it. As soon as you’ll launch Windows Live Writer, it gives you a wizard to configure and here are the step by step screenshots for the same -
a) The first step is just about nothing. Click next on the screen that you get.
b. Choose “Other blog service” and click on next. Isn’t it simple?
c. Alright before you complete the next step, that you’ll get. You’ll need to perform one more step in WordPress dashboard. One needs to enable the XML-RPC (this option allows you to publish the blog posts from blog editors). In the WordPress dashboard – you need to go to Settings and then click on Writing. Check the tick-box that reads – Enable the WordPress, Movable Type, MetaWeblog and Blogger XML-RPC publishing protocols. Click on save changes. One needs to do this step only once! So if you are setting up Windows Live Writer on a different computer, you don’t need to do it again.
d. After that, we’ll come back to the Windows Live Writer setup. It’ll ask for your blog’s web address and username & password, put the login information and click next.
e. It’ll download the required information automatically after that like categories, tags and various theme files to ensure that it will be able to show you the preview of the post in Windows Live Writer itself. It’ll ask you that it will need to post a temporary article for enabling the preview option – click yes on that prompt.
f. Windows Live Writer is all set and ready for you my friend!
Integration with All-in-one-SEO Pack
Apart from that, one of the best plugins for WordPress for Search engine optimization is All-in-one-seo-pack. These are quick and official instructions from the developer.
1. Unzip into your /wp-content/plugins/ directory. If you’re uploading it make sure to upload the top-level folder. Don’t just upload all the php files and put them in /wp-content/plugins/.
2. Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
3. Visit your SEO options (Options – All in One SEO) for WordPress 2.3.x, (Settings – All in One SEO) for WordPress 2.5.x-2.7
4. That’s it!
Earlier there was no plugin for Windows Live writer that gave the power of All-one-seo pack. However, my friend Keith D’souza (famous for his very popular WordPress automatic upgrade plugin) has yet again created a wonderful plugin for Windows Live Writer that integrates the power of All-in-one-seo pack.
It’s a pretty new plugin and so there are few things you’ll have to deal with. Although, Keith has explained the usage in details, so you shouldn’t find any problems in using it.
I hope this tutorial was good enough and in case you face any issues, feel free to ask the questions for support in the comments section. Happy Blogging through Windows Live Writer!