Spam is the word which is a big pain in the you know where. However, we just can’t run away from it as it’s present everywhere, be it e-mail, blog comments, forum or anything which is online and accepts input from the users. The good thing is that there are good guys who put their time and energy to develop tools to fight against this freaky word.
There are many plug-ins for WordPress which can help you stay away from the comment spam and lets find out that which one can help you stay away from the spam and which will be the right solution for your blog.
Tools To help you fight comment spam in WordPress :
1. Akismet : One of the most used plugin to fight against blog spam. Although many bloggers say that they aren’t happy with it’s performance and that it creates problem for them, but I’ve used it for a pretty long time and was completely satisfied with its performance. Although it definitely needs a better interface, it’s not the best.
There are two licenses available for Akismet; free and commercial. If you are making $ 500/month or above then you are required to use the Commercial license and that costs $ 5/month.
2. Defensio : Another service which helps you fight blog spam comments and works just like Akismet works. However, what attracts me to use Defensio is that it’s got a much better UI than Akismet. It sorts the spam comments in a way that less spammy comments appear at the top and that lets you find out any false positives in a much quick way than others.
Defensio is infamous for downtimes and issues with MediaTemple, where it fails to process many comments at regular intervals. Don’t be surprised to see a huge list of email at least once in couple of months. However, I still prefer to use it as I love it’s UI. They have recently posting the service status at Twitter too.
3. TypePad Anti Spam : SixApart the company behind MovableType has launched a similar service like afore-mentioned plugins and is doing a wonderful job as far as my current status is concerned. I’ve tried on my earlier blogs and was happy to see its performance. There have been no false positives till this time.
The interface of TypePad Anti Spam is exactly same as of Akismet and the reason is that the plugin was created by Matt, the person behind Akismet, WordPress and AutoMattic.
4. Spam Karma 2 : Spam Karma 2 is an anti-spam plugin which works! This plugin uses lot of methods to prevent blog comment spam. Although it’s little infamous for False positives and Dave has given a good explanation to that as well. It’s one of the bets if you are somehow not happy with the first 3 services.
5. Math comment spam : Another wonderful plugin which asks a simple mathematics question before the comment can be published. If the reader answers it correctly then you are good to go. Don’t worry the questions are not hard ;).
It works wonderfully if you use it with Akismet as Akismet helps in fighting against Trackback spam too and which this plugin can’t fight against.
I’m sure that these plugins will certainly help you in getting rid of the blog comment spam and will save your hundreds of hours as well.